‘The Kerala Story 2’: HC issues notice to producers, CBFC & Centre
The film is scheduled for worldwide release on 27 February.
PTI
-
Kerala HC has issued notice to ‘The Kerala Story 2 – Goes Beyond’ producers, CBFC and Centre (Screengrab)
Kochi, 20 Feb
The Kerala High Court has issued notice to
the producers of ‘The Kerala Story 2 – Goes Beyond’, the Central Board of Film
Certification (CBFC) and the Union Government on a petition filed by a Kannur
native seeking quashing of the film’s certification and direction for
modifications, including reconsideration of its title.
The petitioner, Sreedev Namboodiri ofKannavam in Kannur district, has arrayed the Ministry of Information and
Broadcasting, the CBFC, and producer Vipul Amrutlal Shah as respondents in the
writ petition filed on 18 February.
A bench of Justice Bechu Kurian Thomas,
considering the petition on Thursday, issued notices to all respondents and
posted the matter for further hearing on 24 February.
The petition stated that it approached the
court after being aggrieved by the grant of certification to the film titled ‘The
Kerala Story 2 – Goes Beyond’ by the CBFC allegedly without due compliance with
the statutory mandate under the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
The film is scheduled for release on 27February.
According to the petition, the grievance
arises from the teaser and trailer of the film, which portrays narratives
involving women from multiple states, yet brand the content as ‘The Kerala
Story’, thereby associating alleged incidents of terrorism, forced conversion
and demographic conspiracy exclusively with the state of Kerala.
“Such a portrayal has the potential to
stigmatise an entire regional population, disturb public order, and incite
communal and regional disharmony,” the petition said.
The petitioner submitted that the first
part of the movie had earlier generated serious controversy on account of
alleged false claims, which were noted during proceedings before the Supreme
Court.
“Despite this background, the CBFC granted
certification to the sequel without adequate examination of its impact on
public order, decency and morality, as mandated under Section 5B of the
Cinematograph Act, 1952. The concluding statements in the teaser and trailer
allegedly amount to a call for retaliatory action, creating a real and imminent
apprehension of law and order issues,” the petition said.
The petitioner further said he approached
the court seeking appropriate writs to prevent irreparable harm, uphold
constitutional guarantees under Articles 14, 19(2) and 21, and ensure that
statutory duties are discharged in accordance with law.
He sought an order quashing the certification granted by the CBFC and directing reconsideration of the
certification.
He also prayed to the court to suspend the
release of the movie pending disposal of the petition and to direct appropriate
modifications, including reconsideration of the title and insertion of adequate
disclaimers, to prevent regional vilification and disturbance of public order.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




